Monday, March 2, 2009

Vegan Veggie Enchiladas


For the enchilada sauce

  • 3 8 oz cans tomato sauce
  • 2 cans water
  • 2 Tbs chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
  • 1/4 tsp granulated onion
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 2 Tbs cornstarch

Add all ingredients, except cornstarch and bring to a boil. Keep whisking, so that mixture doesn't stick to bottom of pan. Mix Cornstarch with a little water and add to sauce. Boil for several minutes, then turn down to low and heat until thick.

For the insides, I sauteed some green pepper, garlic, onion, carrot and chopped kale. When tender, I added 8 oz tomato sauce, some leftover local salsa, leftover brown rice, one can of red kidney beans, one can of white kidney beans (any bean combo would be great), a sprinkling of chili powder and cumin and cooked until heated through.


This is my first attempt at making corn tortillas from scratch. I used the recipe on the package of Masa Flour. They are not real pretty, but they taste good. I put them in a tea towel to keep them warm. I don't have a tortilla press (think I may need to invest in one with as much as I make tortillas), so I rolled them out between layers of wax paper.


Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and add a thin layer of sauce in the bottom. Dip each tortilla in sauce and top with filling. I did this for 15 tortillas. Top with the rest of the sauce until covered. Bake in 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until top starts to look done. I topped with the vegan nacho "cheese" sauce (you could use regular grated cheese if prefered) and baked for another 5-10 minutes. Then topped with fresh tomatoes and green onions.











No comments:

Post a Comment